Sunset over the tip of Long Island the night I crossed to the island. Viewed from the boat.
A number of people have asked why I headed to the island in November. So…
on Thursday Nov 25th my father had a “massive heart attack” in the midst of gale force winds.
(Keep reading by clicking below – or skip to …. December ….)
He took a handful of aspirin and lay down for 2 days.
- on Saturday Nov 27th, when the gale force winds finally died down, Diane crossed the river and brought dad to shore. Yeah Di!!! (thanks to Debbie, John, Andy & Eric for the help!)
- I flew down on Sunday Nov 28th to take over the island and look after the animals while we figured out what was next.
- For dad that meant double bypass surgery ASAP and 6+ weeks of recovery ashore.
- For Diane & Molly that meant dad moving in full-time for December, Jan and into Feb.
- For Lex that meant winter “makeup” on the island w/ 9 sled dogs, chickens & rabbits.
- Luckily the weather worked with us and I was able to see dad up and walking after surgery before the river stopped being safe to cross by boat and I was stuck on the island until the ice was safe to cross by foot.
Phew – through that… all is well now and dad will be back home soon too.
(The story and photos continue in December ….)