QotD: MmmCookies

Did you order Girl Scout cookies this year?  What kind?

Look Into Cookie Bag
Phht!  If they aren’t made with real Girl Scouts I’m not buying!

In truth, if they aren’t sold by real Girl Scouts I’m not buying!  I have very strong opinions about parents selling for their kids.  I know the primary purpose is fund raising and the more sales people the better, but the secondary (and no less important) purpose is self-esteem through achievement and that doesn’t come from parents doing their work for them. Hey, I’m all for referrals but parents should not shill for their kids.  It’s not teaching them tenacity and hard work, how to set and achieve goals, or the very real, very useful life-skill of sales.

It is, however, teaching them to manage.
Perhaps it’s not so bad after all.
Assuming you want kids coming out of high school with a wealth of managerial skills.
They can always hire the parents to do the grunt work.

9 thoughts on “QotD: MmmCookies

• March 8, 2007 at 9:15 am

i just love those rare chocolate mint ones. (ahem cookies that is).

sad news here: caribbean flavours, a restaurant on somerset that i reviewed for cheapeats burned down yesterday. hopefully they will rebuild.

• March 8, 2007 at 9:22 am

that is sad news.  Thanks for the update, I’ll cross my fingers and cross-post to CEOTBlog.com immediately.

• March 8, 2007 at 10:11 am

An excellent point, I share very similar views. Sometimes though you need to shill for your kids as well because of the expense of the field trip etc.. My solution was to get my kids to come into my office or club and sell, then I would pick up the secondary sales later. Thus making the kids make the effort and having them share in any success from sales at the office.As a footnote, I’m glad these fundraising days for my children are past me, one less thing to manage.

• March 8, 2007 at 10:13 am

What do you mean? I thought all Girl Scout cookies contained Girl Scouts.

• March 8, 2007 at 10:23 am

re: shilling – I agree introductions, referals and working as a secondary sales agent are great, especially if you get your commissions in cookies.

re: ingredients – perhaps just the rare chocolate mint ones.

• March 8, 2007 at 11:05 am

I wonder if part of it is the paranoia parents have today about exposing their kids to strangers. I sold brownie cookies door to door as a child, and I didn’t always have a chaperone. I love how colourful our part of the city is, but I wouldn’t let my kids sell door to door in our ‘hood.

But I will make sure ReRe has your number when he’s selling cookie dough for his soccer team, so he can try out his sales skills on you, k?

• March 8, 2007 at 11:56 am

I bake my own cookies and absolutely loathe the dry, hard, flavorless Girl Scout cookies. And that goes for the Thin Mints, too. I know some people are totally fanatical about them, but to me they taste like minty cardboard chips that have been dipped in wax.

• March 8, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Oh I hated fundraising, and I hated it when my friends did shit all because their parents would do all the work for them, especially when they won prizes for it afterwards…I atleast did most of it myself! haha…

• March 8, 2007 at 3:23 pm

m.tinto – I was out there selling too.  I remember flogging chocolate covered almonds and tickets to musicals door to door and met some seriously odd folk.

re: ReRe – send him on over with a good pitch.

june – I don’t think I’ve ever had a Thin Mint.  Though in truth I haven’t had a Girl “Scout” cookie either… we have Girl Guides in Canada. In fact I was one for a couple of weeks.  I wonder if we have the same cookies. Anyone know?

Morgan – prizes / self-sufficiency; self-sufficiency / prizes.  I think you win.

Though I have to admit that I feel pretty lucky that we didn’t have all that much fundraising when I was in highschool. But then again we didn’t have many funded trips either.

What do you think?