Have you ever noticed when you are focused on something you see it everywhere?
When I received the California Walnut Blogger Challenge package, I saw them at the end of every grocery line, in the new Canadian Living cookbook (in a fantastic pasta with rapini, gorgonzola and walnuts) and in one of my favourite fall salads, the Waldorf.
The California Walnut Blogger Challenge was to share an original recipe using at least 1 cup of California Walnuts, so I thought I’d share one I’ve been working on for a while now.
Planet Coffee Cake Recipe
This coffee cake recipe is inspired by a coffee cake I love from Planet Coffee in Ottawa.
You start with a simple loaf cake batter and then layer in a walnut struesel/crumble. So very tasty.
- 1.5 c flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 c brown sugar
- 6 T butter
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 c California Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare loaf pan either by greasing & flouring a loaf pan or bundt pan.
- Chop walnuts into fairly uniform, small bits.
- Cream together brown sugar & 6T of butter, then mix in cinnamon and walnuts to create the streusel.
- Combine flour, salt & baking powder ingredients.
- Cream sugar & butter together
Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture in batches alternating with milk.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into the loaf pan.
- Cover with 1/2-3/4 of the streusel.
- Pour in the remaining batter and top with the remaining streusel mixture.
- Bake in the over for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Then try and keep your hands off it until it cools, because trust me, it doesn’t slice well when it’s still hot… and it’s hard not to try and dig in early!
(Sadly I have no photos because our oven has blown a element and this recipe does not work well on a bbq)