T-fal and the Hot Spot

canadabeef_logo1

You’d think that I knew how to cook with all my posts on recipes and food. Small things like having a professional cook for a father, growing up working in restaurant kitchens and working as a camp cook at 15 would lead you to believe I know my way around cookware.  And yet the T-fal Sensorielle pan  had me completely confuddled.

As part of the Canadian Beef Brand Ambassadorship, each of the Ambassadors received a wonderful non-stick T-fal pan with Thermo-spot Technology, and a batch of Hamburger Helpers.  This was to be a part of our Big Batch Beef experimentation and I was eager to get started.  (Since between you and me, I’m a little behind on my beef posts.)

t-fal thermo-spot & hamburger helper

I washed my pan in warm soapy water, reviewed the directions on how this cool Thermo-spot worked, and followed them to the letter waiting for the pattern on the bottom of the pan to disappear and show me it was ready to cook.
T-fal Sensorielle - t-fal thermo-spot

I waited. I waited some more. I turned up the heat. I waited. I smelled smells. I heard noises. The pattern was still there, clear as day. I waited.
T-fal Sensorielle - t-fal thermo-spot

Let me share with you the exchange I had with some of my Beef Buddies when I attempted to use this new pan for the first time.

Publicly I said

Privately I asked

—- Christine says publicly —-

—- Christine says privately  —-

—- Lex says privately  —-

—- Christine says privately —-

—- Lex says privately —-

Then things get public and kind of meta (a very very shallow definition of meta, but meta non the less)

(this is the part where I desperately try and justify my technical pan-ineptitude through deflection. )

note: these DMs shared with permission, and a lot of giggling on the part of my Canadian Beef Ambassador co-horts.

For your reference:

no giggling!

NOT HOT T-Fal Thermo-Spot looks like this:

t-fal thermo-spot - cold

HOT T-Fal Thermo-Spot looks like this:

t-fal thermo-spot - hot

Note: only the dot in the middle has lost it’s pattern! And it should not take 40 minutes unless your stove is a dud.

Another useful tip:

• You shouldn’t use these pans over high heat because it can damage the non-stick coating. Oh and using high heat for, say, 20-30 minutes can cause some meltiness in the handle.

Note: this post is part of my Canadian Beef Brand Ambassador series. For more information on my relationship with Canada Beef Inc read about my Foodie Adventure: I’m a Canadian Beef Brand Ambassador. #LoveCdnBeef and my disclosure statement

is a digital marketing strategist specializing in content, community and social. When she's not travelling, Alexa splits her time between downtown Toronto and a small rural island in New Brunswick running her tech on solar. Alexa is the founder of CheapEats Restaurant Guides, and the Secret Pickle Supper Club, and the Co-Chair of Second Harvest's Toronto Taste. For more on Alexa professionally check AlexaClark.com, for more on Alexa personally, just keep reading!

'T-fal and the Hot Spot' have 16 comments

1. March 13 @ 4:45 pm chancesmommy

Bwahahahahaha! Ohhh! I LOVE this post! I remember when you tweeted us! I was dying of laughter 🙂 BEST Twitter convo ever!
    Signed,
    A fellow #loveCDNbeef ambassador xo

• March 13 @ 5:11 pm AlexaClark

chancesmommy I was just very happy you guys were there with me.  Gerry just stared and wondered why exactly lunch was taking so long.

2. March 13 @ 4:51 pm chancesmommy

alexaclark kitchenfrolic HeatherTravis Tfal_Canada FUNNIEST post EVER!! http://t.co/TzxLFLDIuvIuv

• March 13 @ 5:21 pm alexaclark

chancesmommy so very glad you like it… especially since you wrote a chunk of it. You and kitchenfrolic cc HeatherTravis Tfal_Canada

• March 13 @ 5:21 pm alexaclark

chancesmommy kitchenfrolic and thanks again for letting me make all that silliness public!

• March 13 @ 5:48 pm chancesmommy

alexaclark kitchenfrolic HAHA! I’m happy to be silly with you in public. See you at #FBC2013!!!

3. March 13 @ 5:27 pm Alexa Clark

Thought some of you professionals might get a giggle out of this Diane McConnell, Matt Kantor, Chef Ilona Daniel, Jason Bangerter.

4. March 13 @ 7:14 pm Danielle Gauvin Thomson

I know I had a good laugh! You’d better STICK to the old cast iron. Even those shouldn’t be turned up too high.

5. March 13 @ 7:22 pm Danielle Gauvin Thomson

Oh Lex, to have been there.

6. March 13 @ 7:58 pm Diane McConnell

You know Lex, I would’ve probably done the same thing as I’ve never cooked with one of these pans, I have my trusty omellette pan, then my cast iron, then my paderno..I know it’s rough right.

7. March 13 @ 8:26 pm unsweetened.ca

I thought you guys might get a kick out of that, and possibly relate. I appreciate the validation Di!

8. March 13 @ 11:02 pm PatAnderson

And overheated nonstick ware gives off toxic gases… Signe L. accidentally killed her two budgies (in the next room) by doing that. Can be dangerous to people, too.

• March 14 @ 9:12 am AlexaClark

PatAndersonI had read that but hadn’t confirmed the new nonstick used in these pans had the same off gassing. (I had some troubles getting onto the t-fal website yesterday — http://www.t-fal.ca/Enviro.htm)

• March 14 @ 9:16 am PatAnderson

AlexaClark PatAnderson That’s great to read! Glad to see it. Thanks for the link, Alexa!

9. March 14 @ 9:35 am Diane McConnell

not to mention Lex, I’m honored to be included in the same sentence as those inspiring chefs…thank you

10. June 11 @ 10:16 pm unsweetened.ca / Happy 10th Blogiversary! - A Decade of Blogging - unsweetened.ca

[…] T-fal and the Hot Spot – my fiasco trying to figure out how to use a new pan.  Embarrassing, yes. Funny, well I think so. Google-friendly, turns out I’m not alone in not understanding this kitchen technology. […]