Made my first mug cake tonight.
Since Gerry is gluten and wheat-free these days, and we don’t eat a lot of homebaked goods these days. I’ve been checking these single-serving, craving-fixing mug cakes for a while now. But never really craved cake enough to bother.
Last night was a little different. I had some meyer lemons left over from the weekend and I realized that perhaps these mug cakes didn’t have to be chocolate or peanut butter or nutella, but could be bright and zippy lemon! That turned things around and after a little internet research I whipped up this:
Meyer Lemon Mug Cake
This recipe produces a very zingy lemon cake perfect for lemon-lovers who like bright lemon flavours that are not too sweet. It can be eaten without any glaze or icing of any kind.
- 3 T butter
- 3 T sugar
- zest & juice of 1 Meyer Lemon
- 1 egg
- 3 T flour
- 1/4 t baking powder
- pinch of salt
- in your mug, cream butter, sugar and lemon zest
- add lemon juice and egg, mix thoroughly
- add flour, baking powder and salt
- mix until mostly smooth
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes on high
- you can eat it right out of the mug as is, though give it a minute or two to cool down.
- OR plop it out of the mug and dust with icing sugar
- OR for those of you who want even MORE lemon zing, drizzle on a glaze of lemon juice and icing sugar.
But is it cheating that I made it in a soup bowl?