Going to Disney World – Need Your Tips #LexGoFurther

After 48 years, we’re  going to Disney.  Walt Disney World in Florida to be exact. We’ve spent a couple of weeks doing our research, going through the site, talking to friends, talking to each other.  I’ve created a Pinterest board, and I’ve reviewed the Disney Food Blog – disneyfoodblog.com

It’s overwhelming!  The place is huge and we’re only going to be there for 3 days. How will we even begin to do or see everything. We can’t.

So, we are throwing in the towel, flying the white flag and generally acknowledging that we are in over our heads when it comes to Disney World.

We need your help, you who have visited since childhood. You who went for your honeymoon. You who are Disney-maniacs or Disney-philes or Disney-park fanatics. We need your Disney World Tips!!

Help us please:

• what should we see?
  • what should we do?
  • where should we eat?

Here are some hints about us to help you help me.

• We don’t have kids traveling with us.
  • I’ve seen most (if not all) of Disney’s animated features.
  • my favourite princess is Mulan, while not strictly a “princess” she was way more independent than the one from Brave who is getting all the attention for being the first tom-boy princess… I mean, Mulan was more tom-boy than almost any one out there!
  • Though  I have to admit that Princess/Queen Elsa is all sorts of awesome.  (From the latest Disney film Frozen.) She may be the only Disney princess who’s actually royal that I really feel any affinity for.  Jasmine was the closest before, but I really felt more like Aladdin.
  • I’m a fan of some of the princes too, like Aladdin and Robin Hood (the fox version)
  • World of Disney was the only TV show I was allowed to watch when I was at my dad’s
  • Pooh is seminal and the idea of a Travel Bunny photo with Eeyore or even better, RABBIT, makes me giggle.
  • Gerry is nervous that we’ll spend the entire time surrounded by plushies wanting a squeeze or to have their tummies rubbed… please don’t make him do that.
  • I’m a fan of the Muppets but more of the old school Muppet Show than any of the movies.  Though “Light the lap not the rat. Light the lamp NOT THE RAT!!!” is heard frequently during the holiday season.
  • I hear rumours of cool park activations and I’m very excited about seeing how Disney is doing integrated story telling experiences… very excited
  • I dislike Goofy, Pluto, Donald and the County Time Bears. They all kind of creep me out. Cars just leaves me cold.
  • I can’t do extreme roller coasters or anything with the words “centrifugal force” in them. Spinning, rolling, tossing around of my head is the path to migraines and nausea. Gerry is not a big fan of “rides” though some kiddie rides are okay… but really what is the point. Boat rides, monorail, that kind of thing we’re both all for.
  • Ratatouile might be one of the best kitchen movies ever. Love it.
  • Travel Bunny wants some Disney photo ops.
  • We will be at Disney World for Lex’s birthday this year, and Lex will be a bit of a suckhead if she doesn’t get both red wine and a slice of cake on her birthday. (I found this: http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/by-location/) has anyone done this? Thoughts?
  • Lex wants to go to a water park. As a January-born Canadian, can you imagine how much joy I’d get out of floating down a lazy river with a cocktail in my hand on my birthday without freezing to death? (if you can’t, the answer is A LOT!)
  • I grew up singing songs from the Jungle Book
  • I like cocktails and  interesting and good food.
  • I will not admit, in public, to watching all of the Apple Dumpling movies. Same goes with all the Witch Mountain series.
  • I love the idea of the Hidden Mickeys and can’t wait to crawl the park looking for them

I know many of you have gone to Disney, some of you many times.  I’d love to hear any Disney World tips, favourite experiences, must-see/must-do/must-eat adventures, and which are your favourite bits of Disney.

Please and thank you!

p.s. don’t worry, we have a house-sitter while we are gone.

is a digital marketing strategist specializing in content, community and social. When she's not travelling, Alexa splits her time between downtown Toronto and a small rural island in New Brunswick running her tech on solar. Alexa is the founder of CheapEats Restaurant Guides, and the Secret Pickle Supper Club, and the Co-Chair of Second Harvest's Toronto Taste. For more on Alexa professionally check AlexaClark.com, for more on Alexa personally, just keep reading!

'Going to Disney World – Need Your Tips #LexGoFurther' have 40 comments

1. December 16 @ 10:14 am Alex Worsfold

On some rides

2. December 16 @ 10:15 am MicheleMarie Beer

I’d be of little help to you as I’ve only been once, when I was 26… lol.. so I’m sure a lot has changed.
    That
    said. Leave your inner adult at the gates and just be a kid when on the
    grounds. Laugh, run, skip, eat junk, hug characters, buy mouse ears…
    all the good stuff.

3. December 16 @ 10:16 am Philip Brown

Brown Derby for lunch at Hollywood Studios!

4. December 16 @ 10:17 am Suzanne Langdon

Been there 8 times, most as an adult. It’s the happiest place on earth : )
    Epcot – Spaceship Earth. Energy pavilion, Earth Ride (and backstage tour if you can)
    Magic
    Kingdom – Haunted House. Pirates of the Caribbean. Hall of Presidents I
    liked too – I remember it being my first taste of the wonder of audio
    animatronics. It’s hard to tell you what is wonderful bc I remember the
    wonder of seeing it all for the first time. I keep going back, so that’s
    sayng something. Have a blast

5. December 16 @ 10:18 am Karen Kraemer

Love
    Disney – favourite rides: Animal Kingdom – Kali River Rapids (not sure
    if it’s fun to get wet now though),Exhibition Everest, Magic: Pirates
    of the Car, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain; Epcot: Test Track; Soaring

6. December 16 @ 10:18 am Karen Kraemer

Favourite Food: Our fave has always been the buffet at Boma in the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

7. December 16 @ 10:19 am Joseph Puopolo

When are you going ?

8. December 16 @ 10:20 am AlexaClark

@Joseph Puopolo We’ll be in https://www.facebook.com/pages/DisneyWorld/171066796275291 for the first couple of days of January (including my birthday!)

9. December 16 @ 10:20 am AlexaClark

@Karen Kraemer Thanks https://www.facebook.com/karen.kraemer.338 and hell YES it’s fun to get wet! Well not here in -10, but there in +18!

10. December 16 @ 10:20 am AlexaClark

Thanks https://www.facebook.com/philip.brown.10236 you’re the first to mention Hollywood Studios. Added to the list! https://www.facebook.com/suzanne.langdon.50 thanks! I’ll keep my eyes open for the wonder.

11. December 16 @ 10:21 am AlexaClark

@Alex Worsfold some at least! https://www.facebook.com/meeshbeer love “laugh, run, skip, eat junk food” check!

12. December 16 @ 11:40 am Alexa Clark

Great DisneyWorld tips coming in on unsweetened.ca, but I’m going to poke a couple of experts / recent visitors and ask about their favourite bits of Disney … Ted Healey Marion Cunningham Nyssa Tilford Leslie Ehm Abraham Wornovitzky that’s you guys!

13. December 16 @ 11:46 am Eden Spodek

Wow,
    lucky you! I’ve never been either and may have opportunity to go during
    my birthday 2014 too. Make restaurant reservations ahead and go on the
    rides in the morning. The shows at night are supposed to be outstanding.

14. December 16 @ 12:32 pm Ted Healey

So much to tell… Will respond soon on your blog…

15. December 16 @ 12:54 pm unsweetened.ca

Thanks Ted Healey! We look forward to feedback from an expert like you! (And who knew DisneyWorld had Disney’s Star Wars Weekends? You did! )

16. December 16 @ 1:14 pm Tedhealey

With only three days you’ve presented me with a challenge. And I like it.

I’m going to suggest getting a 3-day Park Hopper pass so that way you can enjoy at least two parks in one day but not pay the full price of visiting all 4 in three days.

So with that in mind and with your various criteria mentioned above, here’s me telling you what you should do:

Day 1: combine your visit to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios in one day. Go to AK EARLY in the morning. the animals move more before it gets warm in the noon sun. Visit Kilimanjaro Safari and Maharaja Jungle Trek with your cameras ready. DO NOT go on Expedition Everest or Dinosaur. head shakes indeed…It’s Tough to be a Bug is fun 3D film and it’s nice just to walk around this park. You can avoid eating at AK if you save it for Hollywood Studios

By noon hop on board the free busses to Hollywood Studio. Make reservations for the Sci Fi Drive In. Fun atmosphere, drive in food. Big portions. Huge. After lunch, take a leisurely stroll around. NO GO: Rockin’ roller coaster. No. No. No. I’d might avoid Tower of Terror (it only goes up and down with no head shake) but only you guys can answer that. Muppet 3D theatre is a not-to-be-missed (look for all the puns in the wait area). Indiana Jones show is fun. If you can get into Toy Story Mania then good, but by midmorning all the Fast Passes are gone. Good luck. you must ride the Great Movie Ride too, it’s weirdly dumb yet endearing. If you’re still in the park for dinner, then hit the 50s Prime Time Cafe (or make reservations immediately) -the staff are abusively funny, like a 50s prime time tv show…
    Continued…

17. December 16 @ 1:26 pm Tedhealey

Day 2 – EPCOT.

Must Avoids: Mission Space, Test Track (it’s fast, no real head shakes… up to you!)
    Must Dos: Soarin (first thing – fills up fast)
    Fun to do: The Land, Finding Nemo, Ellen’s Energy Adventure

You can spend the morning wandering the Future pavillions and spend the rest of the day going around “the World” to all the country pavilions.

Must Eats: German for Beer, Canada for cheddar soup and steaks, Morocco and Italy are good too.
    Meh Eats: China, Norway, England for Fish and chips
    Do not eat: France. Worst service ever. Mexico – over priced (though the quick service outside the main building makes a mean margarita)

You have to ride the Norway pavilion ride too. it’s… weird. and people seem to love it a lot. A LOT.

It’s a big park. This will take you all day long. I recommend the fireworks, they’re impressive. At the end of the night, ride Spaceship Earth (the big white ball). it’s an optimistic futuristic way to end the visit.

18. December 16 @ 1:38 pm Tedhealey

Day 3 – Magic Kingdom

Big nostalgic park here so let’s cut out the rides you DONT need to do:
    Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain (Not crazy fast but you’ll get wet and WDW in Jan isn’t the warmest), Mad Tea Party (barf).

The rest of it, you have to try! If you grew up on Wonderful World of Disney the rest of the park is a museum to those memories. Haunted Mansion, hall of presidents, Carousel of Progress, Pirates of Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room and it’s a small world (sing it!!) and the People Mover are must dos.

When you arrive, head left after strolling up Main Street, into Adventureland. People tend to go straight or into Tomorrowland.

Dining is more Quick Service than anything else, so expect burgers and Fries, but they’re always big portions (Pecos Bills!).

If you have to stay for one fireworks, stay for MK’s. They shoot a poor kid in a Tinkerbell costume out from the castle. It’s incredible.

Hope this helps…

19. December 16 @ 1:44 pm Tedhealey

Two other things to add:

The new Fantasyland has a massive restaurant called Be Our Guest. The food is better than the quick service I mentioned.

Any restaurant I mentioned you SHOULD make a reservation if you are 100% prepared to go to it. They book up fast.

Also, whatever park you’re at on your birthday, get a Birthday button. Don’t be shy. Do it.

20. December 16 @ 2:37 pm Ted Healey

I could write a book. I SHOULD write a book… I only scratched the surface of all your questions. I didn’t want to bombard you.

21. December 16 @ 2:59 pm AlexaClark

TedhealeyWOW!  Thanks for taking the time to do this. IT”S AWESOMEI You are an amazing font of information.  Thank you!

And I promise an instagram of me with Birthday Button on my birthday! (Now to figure out how and when to get one..)

22. December 16 @ 3:05 pm AlexaClark

TedhealeyPark Hopper – check!  And I love that you are telling me what to do!
    “Weirdly dumb” sounds perfect!

23. December 16 @ 3:07 pm AlexaClark

TedhealeyYa, Mission Space has already been vetoed after a detailed description from one of the people I’ll be traveling with.  Didn’t know about Finding Nemo! and will definitely check out this Soarin thing!

I’ve got a call into the Canadian pavillion to see if they are serving Canadian Beef (you know how I like my Canadian Beef 😉

I was headed to Norway because it aligns with the latest movie – Frozen – too!  “Weird” is definitely my thing.

24. December 16 @ 3:08 pm AlexaClark

TedhealeyLove the editing out, that’s good! Tinkerbell teee heee! Must see!

25. December 16 @ 3:20 pm fortyliciousCa

alexaclark WaltDisneyWorld I bet TheCulturePearl can help you with some tips!!

26. December 16 @ 3:22 pm Tedhealey

AlexaClark Guest Services at whatever park you’re at for your birthday. Usually near the main gate. Or if you’re on property resort, the front desk!

27. December 16 @ 3:28 pm Tedhealey

Are you staying “on Property”? That is, in a WDW resort hotel?

28. December 16 @ 3:47 pm AlexaClark

TedhealeyYup – we’re staying at the Dolphin I think. Our friends have looked after the bookings.

29. December 16 @ 3:47 pm AlexaClark

Tedhealey  Excellent, I’ll let the front desk folks hook me up.

30. December 16 @ 3:54 pm alexaclark

Any suggestions are welcome! I’m a first timer WaltDisneyWorld TheCulturePearl fortyliciousCa http://t.co/WPjI5tH8qn

31. December 16 @ 3:54 pm alexaclark

Thanks fortyliciousCa !

32. December 16 @ 3:56 pm Tedhealey

AlexaClark Tedhealey Ok. Nice place.

If you have your reservation number already you can go on MyDisneyExperience dot com and register for everything… restaurants included. I recommend it – highly exciting.

33. December 16 @ 3:57 pm Tedhealey

AlexaClark Tedhealey Dolphin is an odd egg, not Disney owned, but has SOME of the perks same as a Disney property. Nice place though! You’re very close to the Boardwalk which is a lot of fun.

34. December 16 @ 4:13 pm TheCulturePearl

alexaclark WaltDisneyWorld fortyliciousCa oooh! Fun! How old are the kids? You may want a guide! So worth it to by-pass lines!

35. December 16 @ 4:27 pm alexaclark

.TheCulturePearl WaltDisneyWorld fortyliciousCa ummm no kids. Me. 😉 Take a quick peak at http://t.co/WPjI5tH8qn for my #DisneySide 😉

36. December 16 @ 4:27 pm alexaclark

TheCulturePearl WaltDisneyWorld fortyliciousCa They have park guides?

37. December 16 @ 4:51 pm AlexaClark

WRITE A BOOK!

38. December 16 @ 4:58 pm unsweetened.ca

You SHOULD write a book! Did you see the @DisneyFoodBlog? They have a book. You should have a book

39. December 16 @ 6:03 pm Ted Healey

Liking it!!

40. December 20 @ 1:45 pm #LexGoFurther to Southern Florida! - unsweetened.ca

[…] know I already told you I’m headed Disney-bound, but the trip doesn’t stop […]