Wondering where I’ve been for the last week and a half? Pissed that we missed your holiday soiree? Really don’t care what’s been going on but hoping I’ll get to the point soon?
Okay, here’s the scoop. We’ve been sick – feverish, stuck in bed, horking up a lung, getting behind in work, weak as kittens – sick. It started a week ago Monday, when Gerry came home. He crawled in bed and stayed there until Thursday. While he lounged in bed, I spent the early part of the week locked in the office with boxes of receipts celebrating Taxmas. As I delivered everything to our accountant and started clearing my desk, I noticed a little sniffle. I was doomed.
Today, I’m finally able to raise my head unaided and posted the miracle cure over on Foodist.ca and now here. It’s my friend Diane’s recipe for Rum Toddy. Diane is a chef and the Food & Beverage Manager at Saint John’s Imperial Theatre. She knows what’s what when it comes to rum.
If you’ve never tried a Rum Toddy, it is the nectar of the gods and the cure for all that ails you! It certainly cured me.
My friend Diane, chef and Food & Beverage Manager at Saint John’s Imperial Theatre, heard I was sick this week and sent me her recipe for the traditional Maritime remedy for all that ails me: a Rum Toddy!
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2oz Rum - Appleton's or other amber rum
- 2T Honey
- 1t Cinnamon
- 1/2t butter
- Boiling Water
- Cinnamon Stick
- Squeeze and toss half a lemon into a 14 oz glass,
- add at least 2oz rum (Appleton’s of course) or at least an amber rum. If you want to have a good night’s sleep add another tot,
- squeeze in lots of honey, (2 tbsp. or more to taste)
- 1 tsp cinnamon,
- heat until warm and fragrant, but don’t boil. (microwaving for 20-40 seconds works well.)
- top off with boiling water.
- Adjust flavour to taste by adding more honey/lemon/rum
- top off with 1/2 tsp of butter.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick. Yum Yum.
Diane added “As you can tell, it’s not particular about how much of any ingredient, as long as you have all the ingredients. P.S. you can skip the butter, but why would you?????”
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s warm. It’s soothing. It’s cinnamony. It’s so good, you’ll want another.