Their love of farming and passion for apple growing is infectious and left me wanting to be in the orchard as every variety of apple ripened to it’s peak so I’d get to taste them all fresh from the tree.
Judi was telling me about the Honeycrisp Apple Crisp she and her daughter Courtney make for the Clarington Applefest, and left me craving Apple Crisp for days! So I asked if I could get their original recipe and share it with you. Trust me, it’s great!
Judi & Courtney’s Honeycrisp Apple Crisp Recipe
Makes enough for a 9”x13” pan.
- Peel and slice 13 Honey Crisp apples (remember we are in the apple business!) and spread in a lightly buttered pan.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. lemon juice over the apples to prevent them darkening.
- In a large bowl mix 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups of rolled oats, 2 cups of brown sugar, 1Tbsp. ground cinnamon and 2 tsp. baking powder together.
- Melt 1 cup of butter and toss in the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. (Honey Crisp apples will retain their shape but produce a lot of juice.) Enjoy!
Just an extra note: If you want to present it in a more family-friendly size you can just half the ingredients and place in a 9”x9” pan ( I use a 2 qt. casserole dish) but still keep the cooking time roughly the same as the Honey Crisp take a long time to cook down. You may need to cover with aluminum foil to prevent the top from burning.
Judi added an invite to the bottom of her email: We hope that you are able to clear your calendar and drop in for a sample of the Honey Crisp Apple Crisp so you can taste just how good it is and be able to experience all that Clarington’s Applefest has to offer.
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to make it back back for last weekend’s Apple Fest. But I have been able to make this apple crisp twice since Judi sent me the recipe, once in a big pan and then in individual servings with one Honeycrisp per ramkin. Both times it was tasty.
Note: this post is part of my Longo’s Taste Ontario Ambassador series. For more information on my relationship with Longo’s please take a second and read about my Foodie Adventure: Longo’s Taste Ontario Ambassador! and my disclosure statement