I think it’s important to be upfront and transparent about any involvement in organisations or companies that might intentionally or unintentionally affect what I have to say. It would be outrageous to say that I am unbiased since bias is part of what creates opinion, preference and taste, but I work hard to keep my biases visible and obvious, and where my work is involved to mitigate their influence. Here is my commitment: I will disclose my material relationships and make every effort to be transparent.
So here are my disclosures about my own endeavours:
- I consult through my firm Ellipsis Interactive Consulting. If I am talking about any of my clients, their products or industry, I will disclose the fact that they are a client.
- I am the founder, publisher & editor of CheapEats Restaurant Guides – CheapEats Toronto & CheapEats Ottawa – and its publishing company Plethora Press.
- I run and co-founded the Secret Pickle Supper Club with Chef Matt Kantor – so I get a little excited and sometimes vocal about the Secret Pickle, the venues and vendors we partner with, and my good friend, and excellent chef, Matt Kantor.
So here are my disclosures about businesses and organisations I have ongoing relationships with:
- I am working with the Ontario Apple Growers Association as an Apple Ambassador talking Ontario
- I have been heavily involved in the launch and national rollout of FoodRescue.ca, as a consultant to Second Harvest. FoodRescue.ca is a platform and app which provides food businesses with surplus food the ability to make it available to local-to-them organisations who use it to support their communities through a wide variety of non-profit programs and services like: food banks, soup kitchens, shelters and lunch-programs for kids.
- I was one of the many volunteers for ConquerCovid19.ca and lead the Social Media team. ConquerCovid19.ca was a grassroots, volunteer-driven organization that raised funds, sourced PPE and other priority products, and distributed them across Canada to the healthcare and essential workers in our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic when PPE was in short supply and unavailable through traditional means for many in need of it.
Here are a few past associations:
- I spent 2 years as the Co-chair of Toronto Taste – Second Harvest’s gourmet fundraiser which raises money for food rescue in Toronto. I promote it heavily and think that the chefs and restaurants who participate are heroes.
- I was a Canadian Beef Ambassador for Canada Beef Inc. I receive compensation for the work I do with Canadian Beef. More details about this relationship are outlined here on unsweetened.ca, where you can also read all my Canadian Beef Ambassador posts.
- I have done work with Longo’s. I’m got insider access to Longo’s and received a monthly gift card to explore their stores and products in order to blog about it twice a month. More details about this relationship are outlined here on unsweetened.ca, where you can also read all my Longo’s Taste Ontario Ambassador posts.
- I have done work with Ford Canada who provided me with the use of a Ford Escape for an extended road trip. More details on that are on unsweetened.ca and under the hashtag #LexGoFurther on twitter and Pinterest.
- I have done work with CUTCO Canada and Cooking with CUTCO. I received compensation for the work I did with CUTCO. More details about this relationship are outlined here on unsweetened.ca.
- I am one of the founders and original organisers of HoHoTO which is a third-party fundraiser for the Daily Bread Food Bank. I am no longer an organiser, but I still promote it to help raise money for Daily Bread.
I also occasionally:
- receive samples, temporary loan of product for evaluation, swag and invitations to previews and media events for other brands and companies.
My sites and social properties
This site and the associated social media accounts that link here are mine alone, they don’t represent the thoughts, views, opinions or practices of my employer (who is me anyway), clients, friends, family, children (which I don’t have), minions (which I do have), pets, or any alien influence (to the best of my knowledge).
If you’d like to reach me, you can email lex at plethorapress dot com.